Altspace Unity Upgrade FAQ
Updated October 20, 2021
- When is the Upgrade happening? The upgrade is now live (Oct 20, 2021 11am)! After 48 hours we’ll require all users to be at least on this version.
- Is there a guide I can read? Link
- Is there a video I can watch? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGBZHEBNAL8&ab_channel=BuildingtheMetaverse
- Is there more tutorial content? Yes, checkout the #tutorials channel on the Altspace Discord.
- Where do I get the latest Uploader? https://aka.ms/AvrUrpUploader. After that it’ll auto-update — just open the Altspace tab and wait ~5sec.
- Where do I get older versions of the Uploader? https://dev.azure.com/aipmr/MixedReality-Unity-Packages/_packaging?_a=package&feed=Unity-packages&view=versions&package=com.microsoft.altspacevr_uploader&version=0.9.0&protocolType=Npm
- Where do I get the latest Preview builds?
WinMR or 2D Mode on PC: https://aka.ms/AvrUrpWinmr
Quest or Quest 2: https://aka.ms/AvrUrpQuest (uninstall first)
- I upgraded but I can’t enter. What’s going on? You need to verify on the Template page that there is an upload for your platform with “20203” and “linear”. Then make sure you’re using the latest “Preview” build for your platform. You can find it in the #announcements channel on the Altspace Discord.
- Why are my textures/objects/materials magenta/pink? Even though the Uploader should take care of it, it isn’t always able to. Go to Edit > Render Pipeline > Universal Render Pipeline > Upgrade Project Materials to UniversalRP Materials.
- How do I see which of my Templates and Kits need upgrading? You can visit your Template Upgrade Status and Kit Upgrade Status pages on altvr.com.
- Whenever I start a Unity Project now I see “Failed to load window layout”? That’s a known bug. Try to update your Uploader. Also, if you close the uploader window prior to exiting Unity, you won’t have to reset the layout on the next launch. Recommend you select “load default layout” until we fix.
- Can my old and new Uploads for a Template/Kit live “side-by-side”? Yes. If you see an entry for a platform where the color space is “linear”, and another where it is either “gamma” or blank, you have side-by-side entries. You can also upload new ones for a particular platform and we’ll only show the latest version.
- What’s the exact version of Unity we should be using? 2020.3.18
Special thanks to Proxcyde, dargon, Skourge (Anthony) for helping others on the Altspace Discord where most of this info was gathered.